Charity Eligibility Requirements
Each charity participating in the Milwaukee Partners in Giving campaign has been screened by an Eligibility Committee composed of state and university employees to ensure that it:
- Is a charitable organization
- Is a member of a participating umbrella organization
- Uses the funds contributed by state employees for the announced purposes
- Submits a copy of an IRS certificate showing that it is a tax-exempt, non-profit organization under Section 501 (c) (3)
- Has registered with the Department of Financial Institutions and filed annual reports
- Has a detailed annual budget prepared and approved at the beginning of each fiscal year by its board of directors
- Follows accepted fund-raising practices
- Has a formal policy and procedure of non-discrimination
- Has prepared an annual report that is available to the general public, includes a full description of its charities, identifies the types of solicitation it uses to obtain contributions, names its chief administrative personnel, and fully discloses the sources and uses of contributions
- Has furnished information with a certification by an independent certified public accountant showing that it follows standards of accounting and a financial system that is based on generally accepted accounting principles
The Eligibility Committee is issue-neutral.
If you disapprove of a charity, simply specify on the pledge form the charities you wish your gift to support. Your gift will go only to those you choose.
If you have questions about the eligibility of charities, please contact Rachel Meek at (608) 270-2535 or via the form below.